Pattonville Board of Education
Board of Education Members
Board Areas of Emphasis 2017-2018
Pattonville School District Board of Education is committed to providing exemplary educational opportunities for ALL children. In order to accomplish this goal, partnerships with parents, business leaders, and district patrons must continue to be actively developed in order to engage the entire community as the district strives for educational excellence. As such, the Board has adopted the following Areas of Emphasis for the 2017-2018 school year:
• The district shall develop a multi-year plan to implement K-12 personalized, competency-based learning environments that provide ongoing feedback to students on their growth toward high school course content readiness and leads to success-ready graduates.
• All students in grades 6-12 have a graduation life-readiness plan which they develop and regularly monitor progress within and between academic levels.
• Career education programs will continue to become a more integral component of the total educational program and will include students participating in Extended Learning Opportunities, emphasizing district partnerships with local businesses when possible.
• The district facilities plan will be updated as appropriate and implemented utilizing bond issue and district operating funds.
The district will continue with the following:
• Proactive strategies will be implemented to promote continued improvement in student responsibility, citizenship, and overall character with an emphasis on building relationships and an understanding of socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic differences.
• Safety for students, staff, and community will continue to be evaluated and improved.
• Parents, staff, and students will continue to develop, modify, and implement school improvement plans based on data and research.
• The district will continue to implement and identify strategies to increase the percentage of students involved in extra-curricular programs provided at the elementary and middle school level to support the development of highly competitive programs at the high school.
The district will continue to use resources efficiently to achieve district goals. The district will continue legislative advocacy for public education.
-Adopted June 27, 2017
Board of Education Meetings 2018-2019
Regular meetings of the Board of Education are generally held on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month *, in the Board Room of the Pattonville School District Learning Center (11097 St. Charles Rock Road, St. Ann, MO 63074) beginning at 7:00 p.m. In addition, the Board may hold special meetings and/or work sessions as needed.
For the months of July, March, and December there is only one (1) regularly scheduled board meeting.
July – the fourth Tuesday
March and December – the second Tuesday
There will be special Board meetings on:
Tax Rate Hearing - Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 6:30 p.m.
(Just prior to regular meeting)
Budget - Tuesday, June 11, 2019 – 6:15 p.m.
(Just prior to regular meeting)
The Role of the School Board
Pattonville’s Board of Education is a seven-director representative body elected by the registered voters of the Pattonville School District. They each serve a term of three years to provide for and oversee the operation of Pattonville’s schools. School board members are non-paid elected officials. Pattonville’s board members do this out of a sense of caring and community and a sincere desire to fulfill Pattonville’s vision of achievement for all children.
New board members are required by state law to receive 16 hours of training within their first year of service. Training covers topics related to student achievement, school law, school finance, board policy, board relations, board operations, goal setting and advocacy.
Being a board member requires a great deal of time commitment. On average, Pattonville board members attend:
Board members are elected to oversee the operations of the public school district, as mandated by state law. The primary roles of a school board are to set goals for the district, formulate and adopt policy, select a superintendent to implement policy, evaluate the results, and be a good steward of the community’s resources. The superintendent is responsible for the daily operations of the district. In Pattonville, board members make decisions centered on the district’s mission,“That ALL Will Learn.”
The Board’s general responsibilities include:
The Board carries out its functions openly while seeking the involvement and contributions of the public, students and staff in its decision-making process.
Qualifications for Election to the Board of Education
Elections to the Board of Education are held the first Tuesday in the month of April each year. A candidate must be
Orientation for New Board Members
Once elected, Pattonville’s new school board members attend an orientation session with the board president and superintendent. This is an informal session in which many topics are covered. Some of the topics included are: Responsibilities, ethics, board policy, board and superintendent relationships, board communications and community involvement, time commitments, and the structure and responsibilities of the district’s administrative teams.
For More Information
Download a copy of the Missouri School Board Association’s “Candidate’s Guide to Running for the School Board.”